Get So-fish-ticated with Your Salmon
Did you know that salmon is the most-eaten fish in the United States? Salmon are freshwater fish found in rivers, with a season starting in late April. Despite its popularity, many people are wary of cooking salmon at home out of fear of overcooking it. We’re here to tell you it takes only 5-20 minutes to cook salmon like a pro!
By including this heart-healthy superfood in your meals, you add essential nutrients and vitamins like omega-3 to your diet. Refresh and lighten your dinner with a flaky filet of salmon following our recipes below.
A fool-proof way to give salmon a golden crisp is pan-searing. Adding herbs, lemon slices, and butter will give the salmon a mouthwatering flavor and have your family begging for more!
- Preheat your skillet and add a thin layer of olive oil and seasonings to your salmon.
- Cook each side for 3-4 minutes, carefully watching while searing to ensure it doesn’t overcook.
- Turn up the heat to crisp the skin just before serving.
Sides: Toss spinach and garlic into your pan after cooking your salmon for added nutrients and easy cleanup.
Looking for elegance and flavor? Pour white wine and sprinkle herbs on salmon, toss it in the oven, and out will come a broiled delicacy. This is the best way to prepare side cuts and fillets.
- Preheat your oven to broil and season your salmon with salt, pepper, and fresh herbs.
- Add your salmon to a baking sheet in a foil bowl and pour in white wine.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes and serve!
Sides: Baked potatoes can cook in the oven simultaneously or steam a bundle of green beans for a healthier side.
Think one-pot meal but in the oven! Baking your fish in foil is the perfect way to add your vegetables at the same time.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and butter a baking sheet.
- Wrap each piece of salmon in foil individually, adding one portion of vegetables, seasoning, and putting lemon slices in the foil below your filet.
- Completely seal the foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Sides: Try a variety of mushrooms to soak up all the juicy flavors released from the salmon.
Grilling your salmon brings out the smoky flavors and crispy crust you can’t get from any pan or oven. Save yourself the hassle of kitchen clean-up and make grilled vegetables at the same time.
- Fire up the grill to high heat and lightly oil the grates.
- Skin-side down, grill salmon for 10-15 minutes, turning once until easily flaked with a fork.
Sides: Opt for some grilled asparagus, carrots, or bell peppers for extra crunch!
Looking to keep your meal extra healthy? Keep out additional oils by poaching your salmon. While poaching may seem like you’re removing flavor, it actually preserves it. You can even pour white wine or chicken stock to give the dish more depth.
- Bring water, dill, garlic cloves, and white wine/chicken stock to a boil in a shallow pan over medium heat. Then reduce to a simmer.
- Add salmon fillets, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove salmon and serve with fresh dill and lemon.
Sides: Make poached salmon more filling with brown rice and roasted Brussel sprouts.
Did salm-one say fish fry? Nope, air fry! That’s right — you can even cook salmon in an air fryer. You may be skeptical, but in under 15 minutes, you can truly achieve a crispy golden crust.
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F and coat the basket with cooking spray.
- Season salmon with your choice of spices, place fillets skin side down in the basket, and top each with a lemon slice.
- Check after about 10 minutes. It should take about 15 minutes total.
Sides: Once your salmon is cooked, swap it out for some broccoli and zucchini chunks, seasoned with the same spices and lemon juice.
Make It O-fish-ally Delicious With Ward’s
Cooking salmon can seem intimidating, but this guide shows you how easy it is to add it to any meal. Topping a salad or quinoa with salmon is another way to enjoy this light, refreshing protein. Delight the whole family with a flaky, vitamin-packed salmon. Stop by Ward’s to “sea” all the delectable seafood and fish we have to make your dinner a breeze!